STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering & Math)
Have you thought about what the future looks like? Do you know what types of careers will be developing in the next 10 years? What do you see yourself doing?
These questions are being asked all over the world. By attending Massanutten Military Academy, you will be exposed to incredible classes where you can discover your future!
Project Lead the Way (PLTW) is a nationally recognized STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) program that helps middle and high school students identify their interests and plan an educational path in the areas of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math. To round out this concept, we have added an additional emphasis on the Arts: Visual, Performing, Music, History, Writing, Philosophy, and Ethics.
Massanutten is committed to the future as a STEM school. As a result of this commitment, all MMA cadets participate in STEM courses each year.
Students participating in this program may enjoy enrollment and scholarship preferences at universities and colleges partnered with Project Lead the Way.
Coursework Available at MMA
- Energy and the Environment
- Computer Science/Coding
If a cadet is at MMA for the entirety of their high school career, they are able to have four years of a STEM track on their transcripts. Cadets completing four years of STEM in one track will receive a seal on their diploma signifying this accomplishment!
STEM Computer Requirements
Computer Specifications for PLTW STEM Courses
64-bit Microsoft® Windows® 7 with Service Pack 1 or Windows 8.1 ¹ or 64-bit Microsoft Windows 10 ¹
64-bit Microsoft Windows 7 with Service Pack 1
Intel® Xeon® E3 or Core i7 or equivalent, 3.0 GHz or greater ²
64-bit Intel® or AMD, 2 GHz or faster ²
16 GB RAM ³ or more
8 GB RAM for less than 500 part assemblies ³
250 GB free disk space or more ³
100 GB free disk space ³
Microsoft® Direct3D 11® or capable graphics card or higher ⁴
Microsoft® Direct3D 10® capable graphics card or higher ⁴
- DVD-ROM ⁵
- 1,280 x 1,024 or higher screen resolution
- Internet connection for Autodesk® 360 functionality, web downloads, and Subscription Aware access
- Adobe® Flash® Player 15 ⁶
- Microsoft® Internet Explorer® 8 or higher
- Full local install of Microsoft® Excel 2007, 2010 or 2013 for iFeatures, iParts, iAssemblies, thread related commands, clearance/threaded hole creation, Global BOM, Parts Lists, Revision Tables, spreadsheet-driven designs and Studio animation of Positional Representations. Excel Starter®, Online Office 365® and OpenOffice® are not supported.
- 64-bit Microsoft Office is required to export Access 2007, dBase IV, Text and CSV formats.
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 ⁷
You can install Autodesk® Inventor® Professional software on a Mac® computer on a Windows partition. The system must use Apple Boot Camp® to manage a dual OS configuration and meet the minimum system requirements:
- Recommended: Mac OS® X 10.10.x
- Minimum: Mac OS® X 10.9.x
- Intel® Core 2 Duo or greater, 3.0 GHz or greater
- Microsoft® 64-bit Windows® 7 with Service Pack 1, Windows® 8.1
- RAM: 16 GB or greater recommended; 8 GB minimum
- Partition Size: 250 GB or greater recommended; 100 GB minimum