Parent Teacher Organization
What is PTO?
The MMA PTO is a chance for parents and administration to meet to discuss programs and the overall MMA experience. The MMA PTO meets when cadets come back on campus following a furlough and in conjunction with campus events such as Homecoming and Founder's Day. Invitations and reminders will be sent beforehand. PTO meetings are attended by one or more of the Academy Leaders; Head of School, Kim Elshafie, and/or various Directors of other departments. In addition to these face-to-face opportunities with school leaders the PTO also communicates with each other via email and telephone call as needed.
Parent Teacher Organization Bylaws
Massanutten Military Academy Parent Teacher Organization Bylaws
This council shall be known as the Massanutten Military Academy Parent Teacher Organization (PTO).
Members of the Massanutten Military Academy Parent Teacher Organization (PTO) will be comprised of all parents and guardians of currently enrolled students and parents of alumni.
There are no dues for membership, although donations to help defray any administrative costs will be accepted.
MISSION AND VALUES
Mission: To create a comprehensive parent program that gets and keeps parents involved in MMA and encourages parents to be a part of the “MMA Experience” while enhancing the educational experience for all students.
- Parents are important members of the Massanutten family and are an essential resource for cadets and the entire campus community in the maximization of educational goals.
- Effective parent relations strategies will acknowledge the critical development and growth of MMA cadets.
- Campus-wide awareness and ownership of the issues regarding parents and families are critical to the success of parent relations at Massanutten.
The Council will:
- Provide advice and counsel in long-range planning and development of PTO activities, programs, and services.
- Aid in the formulation and promotion of goals and objectives for the PTO and communicate this to Massanutten parents.
- Encourage and support maximum parent involvement in the PTO.
- Enhance communication between the academy and Massanutten parents.
- Assist the Director of Development in identifying and cultivating Massanutten parents and others to support the mission of the academy through time, talent and giving.
The Association is not limited in membership numbers at this time (however this may change at a late date). Association members shall express a commitment to strengthening Massanutten Military Academy and join the council to give advice to the Head of School on ways to do that.
The Director of Development and other school representatives will serve as a liaison between the PTO and the Head of School. There may also be an alumni liaison who is appointed by the Academy.
The Association shall have two officers: President and Vice President/Secretary:
- President – Serve a one-year term subject to reappointment as the representative of the PTO. The President will preside over all meetings of the PTO.
- Vice President/Secretary – The Vice/President Secretary shall serve a one-year term subject to reappointment as the representative of the PTO. The Vice President/Secretary shall take minutes at all PTO meetings and serve as president in the event of President’s absence.
Association meetings shall be held at least twice annually with special meetings called on an as-needed basis. The Association will typically meet during Homecoming Weekend in the fall and again during Founders Day Weekend in the spring. The Office of Development and Alumni Relations shall manage all affairs and business between meetings with the concurrence of the President of the Association.
Committees shall be established if and as needed.
- Association members will attend two meetings per year either in person or via telephone/video.
- Association members will assist with a minimum of two events per year.
- Association members will help with the planning and execution of parent related events as outlined in this report.
- Members will assist the Development Department in the raising of funds to support MMA priorities, projects, and initiatives.
- Meetings of the PTO are held in October (in conjunction with Homecoming), and early spring (in conjunction with Founders Day Weekend).
The Association will assist with parent related events - Summer Orientation, Summer Graduation, Registration, Homecoming Weekend, Founders Day weekend, Graduation and other events as deemed appropriate.
These bylaws may be amended at any regular meeting of the Association by a two thirds vote, provided notice was given at a previous meeting or was sent by mail or e-mail by a specified date.
If for any reason the PTO is dissolved, all property thereof belonging to the association shall automatically be transferred to the Massanutten Military Academy Office of Alumni and Parent Relations.