Safety Protocols 2020-2021
Massanutten Military Academy's plan is to begin the school year on-campus, with registration dates on August 8 & 9 between 9:00-5:00 by appointment only. To schedule your enrollment appointment, please contact Ms. Dublo at [email protected] or call 540-459-0426.
Over the last couple of months, Massanutten staff have worked to disinfect campus and added signage to prepare for cadets and visitors to return to campus with safety measures in place. We are following CDC guidelines for schools in preparation to reopen. We are working hard to obtain approval for on-campus attendance, but cannot guarantee when that may be granted. We are also planning for remote learning in case there are portions of the year we cannot operate on-campus. For cadets who are not comfortable or able to return to campus, we are offering a fully remote educational learning option this year.
We have also made some adjustments to the Master Calendar, a copy of which can be found here with important information and dates.
Many infectious disease experts believe there will be a second wave of COVID-19 this fall or early winter, so we are adjusting our schedule for on-campus learning to accommodate this possibility. As currently written, cadets will leave campus for Thanksgiving Break on November 20, 2020. We will have three weeks of virtual learning using the Canvas platform between November 30 and December 19, 2020. Winter Break will take place between December 18, 2020-January 3, 2021. Cadets will return to campus on January 3, 2021. Classes will resume on campus on January 4, 2021.
Please know that MMA is developing policies and procedures to minimize the risks of COVID-19 if/when on-campus attendance resumes. These procedures are still in progress as we work to obtain approval from the Virginia Council for Private Education to resume on-campus attendance. The current policies and procedures we are developing include:
- increased disinfection
- adding signage to promote health and safety measures
- adding social distancing floor stickers
- installing hand sanitizer stations throughout campus
- quarantining all cadets for the first 14 days on campus and providing classes via Canvas
- ensuring one cadet per room for the first 14 days on campus
- limiting visitors on campus
- altering the school calendar to limit travel to and from campus
- designated quarantine housing in case there is a COVID-19 positive case or exposure
- screening those on campus for fever and other COVID-19 symptoms
- social distancing measures in classrooms and other shared spaces
- use of masks
- replacing fall sports with organized PT
- prohibiting cadets from sharing personal items with others
- air purifiers have been installed in classrooms, mess hall, and Caskey Auditorium
Frequently Asked Questions
- Will MMA arrange transportation to the airport and train station when cadets go home on leave in November?
Yes, MMA will arrange transportation to the airport and train station for Thanksgiving furlough.
- Do parents have to come to campus any time a cadet returns to campus?
Yes, a parent or guardian is required to bring cadet back to campus.
- Will the cadets be able to order take-out food on the weekends during and/or after the 14 day quarantine?
Yes, the cadets will be able to order take-out after the two week quarantine, but they will have to pay by credit card. They will not be allowed to use cash as we are trying to limit contact.
*This applies to cadets in good standing only.
- Can the cadets bring snacks with them on registration day?
Yes, cadets may bring snacks with them on registration day, but it must meet requirements set forth in the Cadet Handbook (14 individual servings). The snacks must be able to fit in the cadet footlocker.
- Can parents send care packages to cadets during the school year?
Yes, parents may absolutely send their cadets care packages throughout the year. We request that anything sent meets the requirements in the Cadet Handbook.
- Am I allowed to visit my cadet on campus?
Yes, you may visit your cadet on campus. You will be required to check in at the infirmary for a health screening and will have to wear a mask.
We are committed to providing a safe environment for our cadets, faculty, and staff. Above all, we look forward to reconnecting and engaging with our cadets and MMA families for the 2020-2021 school year. We will continue to communicate with you as we learn more concerning when on-campus attendance can begin. If you would like to speak to an Admissions team member regarding enrollment, please email [email protected] or call 540-459-2167 Ext. 1.