Cadets enjoy many options for fun on the weekends. Downtown Woodstock, just a five-minute walk from campus, offers a movie theater, cafes, shops, fast-food restaurants, convenience stores, a bowling alley, skating rink and arcade.
On campus, cadets play basketball or tennis on outdoor courts, lift weights or pick up teams in the gym for basketball. Cadets may also shoot pool, play TV console games, or watch ballgames or movies in the Hayes Activity Center.
Special events include trips to amusement parks, local caverns, battlefield tours, live theatre and music productions, professional and college sports events, or tours of historic landmarks and art museums in the Washington, D.C., area.
Seasonal activities include golfing, camping, fishing, whitewater rafting or snow skiing.
Cadets also may participate in a variety of extracurricular clubs, including Interact, a service club sponsored by Rotary International. These clubs take full advantage of the wonderful Shenandoah Valley and the nearby National Parks.
Trips and Events Off Campus
- College and professional sports events
- White water rafting/floats
- Paint ball park
- Tours of historical sites and museums
- Hiking and camping in national parks
- Mall and movie trips
- Tours of college campuses
- Theatre and concert trips
- Amusement parks
- Indoor water parks
- Skiing and snowboarding resorts
Fun On Campus
- Dorm area lounges (TVs and video games)
- Activity Center (large screen TV, Wii games, foosball, ping-pong, and pool tables)
- 3 major dances - Homecoming, Ring Dance, Military Ball
- Billiards and table tennis tournament
- Open Gym - basketball courts, weight room, exercise machines
Cadets who remain on campus for the weekend are encouraged to attend a local worhsip service of their choice or the informal cadet chapel service. Otherwise, they attend a reading and quiet study time until the morning brunch.